MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to industrial design registration in Ukraine including design search, drafting the specification, filing and further prosecution of a Ukrainian design application, maintenance of an industrial design patent in force, preparing and recordal of changes, assignments, and license agreements as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The maximum validity term of an industrial design patent in Ukraine is 25 years.
Novelty grace period is 12 months from disclosure of the information on industrial design before filing the application or priority date thereof, if priority is claimed.
The industrial design application in Ukraine may include several designs (variants) in one multiple industrial design application if the designs concern the same object or may be identified as a kit of goods and have a single design concept.
Overview of the industrial design registration procedure in Ukraine:
After completion of filing procedure the Official Notification about a filing date establishment is issued within one month. Then the Ukrainian design application undergoes the formal examination within 5 months. There is no substantive examination that is stipulated by the Ukrainian legislation. On condition that the application meets the formal requirements a decision to grant a patent is issued. If the grant, publication fees and the first post grant annuities are paid, the patent is issued.
The procedure of the design registration in Ukraine usually takes from 6 to 12 months.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Ukrainian patent attorney.
For filing a industrial design application in Ukraine we need:
- your filing instructions with applicants and authors names, addresses and citizenships;
- figures (photographs, photocopies or files) with the general view of the design and, if possible, front, top, side, back and bottom views of the design;
- list of the essential features of the design, if available;
- Power of Attorney signed and stamped by the applicant, legalization and notarization are not required (may be provided to the Ukrainian Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application);
- Certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed (may be provided to the Ukrainian Patent Office within 3 months from filing the application).
The term for filing a design application in Ukraine claiming conventional priority is 6 months from the priority date.
For more information about industrial design registration in Ukraine or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Ukrainian design application please contact us.